This year, my reading is focused on directions for me. I find it interesting that even in the chapters of wars and battles there are specific instructions for me. For example:
Alma 55:11 raises the question What is my wine? What do I sell my soul for that is of little worth? How can I turn weakness into strength? Pondering those questions makes me realize how much time I spend watching TV without something of worth in my hands being made for someone else. I watch often because Lynn is sitting in the chair next to me and I love just being in the same room with him. However, I can easily do two things at once: Watch and knit or embroider, or bind a quilt. That is now a goal--2 things at once!
Alma 56:8 makes me wonder, "Do I help others keep their covenants?" The easy answer is sure becasue I work in the temple. But that begs the question as those people come on their own and I only help facilitate. The bigger question is what do I do every day to help others keep those covenants? Do I set a good example? Do I encourage, actively? Do I show that I love keeping my covenants? If so, how? Will I ever know? I don't know.
Alma 57:21 encourages me to "Obey every word of command with exactness." Exactness is the clue--one I need to ponder. I need to take a look at my behaviors and then examine what I do and for what reasons.
Alma 58:40 asks me if I am "strict to remember the commandments of God?" I think that this particular year's reading is helping me to more fully understand the commandments of God. As I understand better, I think remembering to act on them will become easier.
There really is great wisdom in the commandment to read the Book of Mormon daily. I am sorry that it has taken me so long to try to do so without the requirement of a class to be taught or a talk to be given.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.