3 Sisters Hawaii
Monday, February 28, 2011
I was reading yesterday in Helaman. 4:11 cautions to beware of wickedness and abominations and the mocking of that which is sacred. Before Sacrament meeting yesterday, as we are always a little bit early so Lynn can put up the song numbers, I circled the chapel greeting those who I only usually see on Sunday. One of my good friends reacted quite coldly and I was a bit confused. After the meeting block I ran into in the hall her and she asked if we could talk a minute. She appologized for being so cold and then explained: At a stake meeting for Young Women's leaders she had been greeting various women before the meeting in the chapel. As were many others. It was a pleasant reunion of women of don't see each other often, except at these meetings. When the Stake Young Women's President spoke she spoke on the sacredness of the Chapel and mentioned an incident that had happened at a Young Single Adult Fireside that Eld. Bednar presided over in Eugene Oregon. The meeting had been a spiritual feast and afterwards, many of the young adults were visiting in the chapel. They were not being boisterous or rowdy, just happy to be with worthy friends. All of a sudden, Eld. Bednar approached the podium, and spoke quietly but forcefully: (I can't quote him as I didn't hear him so this is a paraphrase) Brothers and Sisters, please take your visiting outside the chapel. The chapel is a most sacred place where ordinances are performed. It should never become a place for visiting. There was absolute silence and then the group moved out to the foyers where they more comfortbly resumed their visiting. My friend said that when she considered what the Stake YM pres. had said that Eld. Bednar said, she realized that she was guilty of the same offence. Just as I was by using the chapel as a place to greet, visit, and make arrangements for visiting teaching etc. I was struck quite forcefully. As I have pondered her words, I have felt as if, unknowingly I have been mocking a sacred place for years. The stake YM pres. also asked all the leaders to consider where they hold YM opening exercises. She asked, "Are you dressed appropriately to be in the chapel? Are the young men and young women? Is the behavior apropriate for such a sacred place?" It has really caused me to think. I can remember a time when we never entered the chapel in slacks, much less jeans, except on the one occasion a year when we helped with the major cleaning of the chapel, including cleaning the woodwork and finally scrubbing the carpets. I am quite determined to do better at respecting the sanctity of the chapel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Whoa - a lesson for all of us. Unfortunately, the way most church buildings are designed, there is really no place for greeting and visiting without totally blocking exit or entrance doors. Since generally our weather is so nice, people gather outside the main door and chat. It is a challenge to find another place to greet people, but one worth taking on. Thanks for posting this.
ReplyDelete